If your air conditioning system seems to be acting up or if it’s not cooling your home off like it used to, it might be time to get a new one. How do you know if your A/C system is dying? Watch for the following signs, especially as the temperatures heat up outside.
- Running Constantly. Your A/C system should run often enough to keep your home cool, but it shouldn’t be running all the time. If your system seems to be running nonstop and it’s only blowing out warm air, you should have a technician check it. A technician can let you know if it’s a simple fix, such as giving it more refrigerant, or if it needs to be replaced.
- Higher Energy Bills. If your energy bills are a lot higher than usual, it’s time to have your air conditioning system checked. These systems are designed to run efficiently, which helps keep energy bills down. When your system isn’t running as efficiently as it should, it might be in need of costly repairs or a replacement.
- Noisy System. Air conditioners usually make some noise while they run. However, your system shouldn’t be making sudden, loud sounds, such as banging or clanking. It also shouldn’t shake when it’s running. If your A/C system has been making odd sounds, have it checked as soon as possible.
- Circuit Breaker Trouble. If your air conditioning system trips the circuit breaker repeatedly, it can indicate that the compressor is dying. This means that it’s time to start looking at new systems for your home.
- Problems Starting. Your air conditioning should come on without any problems. If yours doesn’t come on at all, even when you turn the thermostat down, you’ll need to have it checked by a technician. Your system might need repairs, or it could be time to replace it with a new one.
If you end up needing a new A/C system this summer, please contact Sherlock Plumbing, Heating & Air.
Our experts can help you find the right HVAC system for your North San Diego home.