The winter months come with the risk of certain safety hazards such as fires. As you think about how to cut down heating costs, you should also consider the additional measures necessary to stay safe at your San Diego home. Here are our best tips for ensuring winter home safety.
- Change the furnace filter. You should replace your filter every three months, or earlier if necessary, to maintain the efficiency of your heating system.
- Schedule preseason maintenance. A professional technician will clean your heating system and ensure all connections and components are working safely, reducing the chances of a residential fire occurring.
- Service your fireplace. A licensed contractor should check and service your chimney at least once every year to get rid of any buildup. Use a sturdy screen to keep sparks away from your living area. Use seasoned woods and not glossy or coated papers to build your fire.
- Use space heaters with caution. Space heaters are not recommended by Sherlock because of safety and efficiency reasons. However, we understand some clients like to use space heaters. If you choose to use them, always be careful to have a three-foot “safety zone” around the heater that’s free of any objects that could catch fire. Always turn off space heaters before going to bed and leaving the house.
- Clean the area around heating equipment. The general area surrounding your heat sources should be clean, organized, and clear of boxes and other storage items, flammable materials and anything that can inhibit airflow.
- Never use oven heat for warming your home. An overworked oven can explode because it’s not built to operate for extended periods.
- Make a fire escape plan. Practice this plan with all the members of your family.
- Install and maintain smoke detectors. You should have at least one smoke alarm on every level of your home.
- Install and maintain carbon monoxide (CO) detectors. These devices will help protect you from CO poisoning, which is one of the most common causes of poisoning deaths.
By following these tips, you’ll keep your home safe and comfortable throughout the winter. For more winter home safety precautions, contact Sherlock Plumbing Heating & Air. We serve the San Diego area.