As exciting as the holiday season may be, it also tends to bring unwanted guests such as high energy costs. Fortunately, you can make some simple adjustments to your HVAC system and daily habits to cut down your home’s energy usage and save money without sacrificing comfort.
Get lower energy bills by using the tips below.
- Locate and seal leaks. You can lower your heating and cooling bills by as much as 10 percent by sealing air leaks. Install caulk around your windows and weatherstripping on your doors to seal them. Take the time to seal leaks around chimneys, recessed lights, plumbing penetrations and behind any cupboards and closets where unfinished spaces may be.
- Add insulation. Heat will escape from your home if it’s inadequately insulated, causing your heating system to work inefficiently. Upgrade the insulation in your attic, basement, crawl space, and exterior walls.
- Schedule a tuneup. Your heating system should be checked by a professional once every year. That will improve its efficiency, helping you lower your energy usage.
- Check your air filter monthly. A dirty furnace filter will impede airflow, making your system work harder and waste energy. If your filter is dirty, make sure you clean or replace it.
- Set the temperature back. If you’re still using a manual thermostat, consider replacing it with a programmable thermostat, which can be easily programmed for maximum energy savings. Lower your thermostat setting by 8 degrees or more while asleep or not at home. That will help you save energy by avoiding heating your home when it’s unnecessary.
- Improve the efficiency of your fireplace. Heat loss also happens through your fireplace. Keep the damper closed if a fire isn’t burning. Caulk around the hearth. If you don’t use your fireplace, consider plugging and sealing the chimney flue.
By adopting these fall and winter energy-saving strategies, you’ll keep your comfort levels high and energy bills as low as possible. For more information on how to lower energy bills, please contact us at Sherlock Plumbing, Heating & Air. We serve San Diego and the surrounding area.