Beating the heat of a San Marcos summer doesn’t have to be expensive. By taking a few simple steps to reduce the cooling costs of your home, you’ll stay more comfortable while cutting down on your need for air conditioning.
- Use your ceiling fan: A ceiling fan can make you feel between 4 to 8 degrees cooler so you can raise your A/C thermostat temperature by the same amount to save energy. Every degree you raise the temperature above 78 degrees can reduce cooling costs by one to three percent. For a convenient way to maintain energy-efficient temperatures, install a programmable thermostat.
- Choose heat-controlling window treatments: Up to 30 percent of your home’s heat gain comes through the windows, so how you cover them matters. Reflective blinds can cut heat gain from a sunny window by up to 45 percent. Drapes with reflective backings can reduce heat gain by up to 33 percent.
- Boost your insulation: Insulation isn’t just for keeping warm. Sufficient insulation in your attic is critical for holding back the heat that builds up there. If your attic doesn’t have at least an R-30 layer of insulation or around 10 inches of fiberglass batts, add more. To assess your wall insulation, schedule a home energy audit.
- Switch to efficient lighting: CFL and LED lights not only use less energy and last longer, they also burn cooler than traditional incandescent bulbs. That means less heat buildup in your home and less work for your A/C.
- Care for your air conditioner: Scheduling annual A/C maintenance ensures your system runs as efficiently as possible. Just changing the air filter on schedule keeps your A/C 5 to 15 percent more efficient than it would be with dirty filters.
- Consider an upgrade: If your A/C is more than 10 years old or needs repairs more than once a year, upgrading to a new model will pay you back with lower cooling and maintenance bills.
For more pro tips on how to reduce cooling costs, contact us at Sherlock Plumbing Heating & Air, Inc. We serve the San Marcos, San Diego and Vista areas.