As the weather heats up, our San Diego and North County customers are always looking for ways to stay cool without seeing their energy bills skyrocket. So, we’ve compiled a list of tips that we, along with the California Consumer Energy Center, recommend for San Diego and North County homeowners. Following all, or even some of these tips can keep your electric bill down, while still allowing you to stay comfortable in your home this summer.
- Keep your thermostat at 78 degrees when you’re at home and 85 degrees when you are out. You can adjust these temperatures higher, saving even more, if you have ceiling fans. The air movement from fans helps the room feel cooler without using much energy. It is estimated that for every degree your thermostat is set above 72 degrees, you can save 1-3 percent on your energy bill!
- Replace your air conditioner filters on a monthly basis. During the summer months, when your air conditioner gets more use, filters become dirty faster and need changing more often. Dirty filters restrict airflow, causing your cooling system to run longer and use more energy, so it is essential that you maintain a clean filter.
- Invest in a new air conditioning unit if yours is old and inefficient. New ENERGY STAR air conditioners can save you up to 10 percent on your energy bill!
- Check your ductwork for leaks, and have your ducts sealed and repaired if leaks are found. It has been found that in an average home, up to 25 percent of cooling costs can be attributed to leaky ductwork!
- Install a whole-house fan in your attic. Whole-house fans force hot air out through attic vents while pulling in cool air through the windows. In areas like San Diego and North County, where evenings and mornings are usually quite cool, whole-house fans make a lot of sense and you can see substantial savings on your energy bill.
Contact us today, and one of our Comfort Consultants would be happy to come out to your home to discuss with you how we can help you save on your monthly energy bill. Whether you need air conditioner maintenance, duct repair, a new ENERGY STAR air conditioner or a whole-house fan installed, we can help. You may even qualify for government rebates that will help you save even more!