If you’re planning to sell your home in the near future, now’s the time to invest in energy-efficiency upgrades to help you unlock its full value. Today’s homebuyers are seeking out properties that offer energy savings, and they’ll pay more if these improvements are already completed. The following suggestions can make your home more attractive to buyers, and let you enjoy increased comfort and lower operating costs while you’re living there:
- Update your kitchen, but don’t go overboard. Just by upgrading to attractive, Energy Star-certified appliances, you’ll reduce your monthly utility bills and make your kitchen more appealing to buyers.
- Give your bathrooms a “green” upgrade by incorporating low-flow toilets, shower heads, and faucets. Both you and your home’s new owners will appreciate the water-heating savings and lower utility bills.
- Re-insulate and weatherize. Make sure you have ample insulation in your attic and walls and seal any cracks and leaks that allow warm air to escape in the winter and enter the home in the summer. You’ll start seeing your energy consumption drop immediately, and you’ll have lower utility bills to flaunt when it’s time to sell.
- Install new Energy Star-certified windows. Homeowners in the San Diego area should look for windows with an SHGC of 0.30 or less, and a U-factor below 0.35 to reap long-term energy-saving benefits.
- If your heating and cooling appliances are more than 15 years old, consider making an energy-efficiency upgrade to a new furnace, A/C or heat pump. Add a programmable thermostat so you and your future buyers can maximize your savings.
- Before you list, have your home’s energy performance rated with a Home Energy Rating System (HERS) Index audit. A good HERS score can increase the value of your home with energy-conscious buyers.
Keep a record of all your energy-saving improvements, and tell your listing agent all the details so they can spread the word when your home goes on the market.
If you need expert advice about energy-efficiency upgrades or other home comfort issues, please contact us at Sherlock Heating and Air Conditioning. We’re proud to serve the HVAC needs of San Marcos, Carlsbad and other areas of northern San Diego.