Although the winter months are winding down, it’s never too late to begin thinking about buying a new furnace. Unfortunately, mistakes when purchasing a furnace are quite common, which can lead to a huge loss of energy efficiency, not to mention money. To avoid this, here are 5 mistakes to watch out for:
- Choosing the wrong contractor — No matter what type of furnace you choose, it’s important that the technician who is installing it be licensed and qualified. A contractor should be able to quickly provide you with the necessary documentation, in addition to references that you can check out.
- Not getting multiple estimates — Receiving estimates from more than one contractor will stoke competition, in addition to giving you an actual choice. There’s no law that says you must go with the first contractor you’ve contacted.
- Believing that price is the only thing that matters — We all want to save a buck. So when a contractor presents you with the price of a project that is lower than the rest, it’s tempting to jump on it right away. However, there are other factors to consider, such as completion time, the type of units to be installed, etc. And if the price is considerably lower than the competition, consider the fact that they may cut corners and perform shoddy work.
- Thinking the new system will work perfectly — Furnaces are very well-built pieces of machinery, but they can definitely have flaws. Check with your contractor to make sure that there is a guarantee of performance after the sale.
- Lack of training — To give your furnace the care it needs, your technician must possess the proper training for the job. If you really want the best service and knowledge around, only choose technicians that have been certified by NATE (North American Technician Excellence).
If you need more information regarding mistakes when purchasing a furnace or have other home comfort issues, please contact the experts at Sherlock Heating & Air Conditioning. We serve the heating and cooling needs of San Diego, Carlsbad, La Costa, Encinitas, Vista, San Marcos, Oceanside, Rancho Bernardo, Poway, and surrounding areas.