To take full advantage of the benefits ductless mini splits offer, such as unobtrusive installation, great energy savings, and zoned temperature control, take the appropriate steps to ensure optimal performance during cooler weather.
Leaky homes make ductless mini splits work harder. Use caulk and weatherstripping to seal air leaks around windows, doors, and other areas of the home that are notorious for air leaks, such as the attic hatch, recessed lighting and entry points for cables and pipes into the home. Boost insulation where needed with special attention given to attic insulation.
Sizing: 1 Ton or 2?
With your home-efficiency upgrades completed (sealing and insulating), your HVAC pro should perform a heating/cooling load analysis to determine the correct size (tonnage) of ductless system required for maximum cooling and heating performance.
High-efficiency ductless mini splits can easily surpass the performance of older models and conventional heat pump systems.
- Inverter technology optimizes refrigerant heat exchange and produces less noise.
- Multi-speed fan control and multi-point temperature detection deliver comfortable zones.
- If you’re concerned about allergens and other airborne contaminants, select advanced air-filtration options, such as carbon-activated filters, anti-bacterial and/or electrostatic filters.
Professional installation is important to ensure all components are in good working order and installed for performance.
- The indoor air handlers should be mounted high on walls or the ceiling to promote optimal airflow for supreme comfort. (Some models may actually require installation closer to the floor, so it’s important to pay attention to manufacturer recommendations.)
- The compact outside cabinet should be on firm footing, typically a small concrete slab, or mounted to the home. Maintain four or more feet of space for unrestricted airflow to the fan assembly.
- The conduit may extend several dozen feet to connect the outside cabinet and indoor air handlers, which allows for great location options. Keep in mind that the further the conduit extends, the more refrigerant efficiency will decline.
Annual professional maintenance and occasional DIY care are necessary to maintain peak performance through the heating months and all year long. Check the air filter regularly, and make sure debris or other obstructions don’t block airflow at the outside cabinet.
If you have questions about ductless mini splits or want an energy evaluation to prepare your San Diego or North County home for peak comfort and ductless performance, contact Sherlock Plumbing Heating & Air today.