Proper maintenance of your heating and cooling systems is essential for their safe and efficient operation. Annual service on your furnace and air conditioner will help you save money on energy costs and ensure that your San Diego home stays comfortable year-round. The best time to schedule a preventive tune-up is in the spring for your air conditioner and in the fall for your furnace.
A heating or cooling system tune-up by a qualified HVAC professional will include these key points:
- Tighten electrical connections for safety and efficiency.
- Lubricate the moving parts of the system to prevent friction.
- Test the controls of the system to make sure it operates properly.
- Inspect the condensate drain to prevent mold growth and water damage.
- Check and tighten gas or oil connections to reduce fire hazards.
- Check the gas pressure for safe operation.
- Check the burner for safe operation and clean it if needed.
- Check the heat exchanger for damage.
Air conditioner-specific points completed during annual service
- Clean the evaporator and condensing coils to cool your home more efficiently.
- Check and adjust the refrigerant level.
- Adjust and clean the blower components.
There are several things you can do to keep your HVAC systems operating efficiently and safely between annual service calls.
- Check your air filter every month and replace it when it’s dirty. A dirty filter will prevent the optimum flow of air to your system, possibly causing it to overheat, as well as reduce the operating life of your unit.
- Keep your outdoor air conditioning unit free of debris, such as grass clippings and weeds, to keep it operating efficiently. Spray down the unit with a hose regularly to prevent dirt buildup inside.
- Don’t close off more than 20 percent of your supply registers in order to save money on energy costs. Doing so can prevent optimum air flow to the system, which can cause it to overheat and operate inefficiently.
For more expert advice on annual service for your HVAC systems, please feel free to contact us at Sherlock Plumbing, Heating & Air We’ve proudly served the San Diego area for over 30 years.