Upgrading to a zoning system is one of the best methods to increase daily comfort for all household occupants and reduce monthly energy bills. If you’re upgrading your HVAC system with zoning, prepare your home for maximum benefit which you’ll see and feel.
Super-size comfort, down-size energy bills
A zoning system cools and heats different rooms and areas (zones) of your home throughout the day based on the thermostat setting in each zone. Each thermostat sends temperature readings to a central control panel, which in turn signals automatic ductwork dampers in each zone to open or close as needed to maintain that zone’s thermostat setting.
The network of thermostats essentially acts as on/off switches for cooling and heating in each zone. This substantially lowers the load placed on the cooling and heating systems, increasing their performance and life span with less stress, wear and tear.
These are some of the many situations in homes where a zoning system is beneficial:
- Multi-level homes: Heat naturally rises, which makes upstairs areas 10 to 15 degrees warmer no matter the season. This can play comfort havoc for finding a comfortable temperature at different times of day and night.
- Additions and retrofitted spaces: These areas often use different building materials which have different thermal properties than original structure.
- Expansive glass: The number and size of windows is a factor for heat gain/loss, and is affected by sun orientation, too.
- Unused spaces: Why cool and heat unused or seldom-used rooms?
- Occupant temperature preferences: Zoning design takes into account the daily schedules, temperature preferences and energy-usage habits of household occupants.
Preparing your home
You’ll get the most benefit from your new zoning system if your home is prepped with energy-efficiency upgrades. A professional energy audit measures air leakage, insulation levels and a number of other factors which affect the heat gain/loss of a home.
For more information about zoning system upgrades, professional energy audits or any other HVAC question you may have, contact the professionals at Sherlock Heating & Air Conditioning. We provide outstanding HVAC service and installation for homeowners throughout San Diego and the surrounding regions.