For some reason, many people have a tendency to make things harder than they need to be. Take searching for an HVAC contractor, for example. Yes, making the right choice is very important, but it isn’t as difficult as you might think. Simply follow these tips and the task will be over before you know it:
- Does a friend or family member already use a reputable contractor? If so, your search might be over before it hardly begins.
- Is your new contractor NATE-certified? NATE (North American Technician Excellence) is a non-profit organization governed by industry professionals that trains and tests technicians to ensure the best quality work and service.
- Does a technician try to discourage you from installing high-efficiency equipment in your home? This could mean bad news, as it may signal an inability to keep up on the latest HVAC technologies.
- Will your home be evaluated right away? An HVAC contractor worth his weight in refrigerant will want to inspect your home’s energy efficiency, ductwork and current equipment to check for areas of improvement and overall performance.
- Did you receive a detailed, written bid? Not only must any bid for a project be written, each detail concerning the job – warranties, equipment to be installed, completion estimates, etc. – must be included.
- Are estimates done in person or over the phone? If a technician has never visited your home, he or she has no business estimating the cost of any service, as there are too many factors involved.
- Will resizing of your home’s HVAC needs be done? Since incorrect sizing is common, your technician should size any cooling or heating equipment being installed from scratch instead of using old data.
- Was the contractor professional from the get-go? From the initial point of contact through the last day of a contract and beyond, your contractor should maintain the utmost level of professionalism.
For more expert advice when searching for an HVAC contractor, or if you need assistance with other home comfort concerns, please contact the professionals at Sherlock Heating and Air. We’ve been serving all of San Diego County and southern Riverside County for more than 10 years.