Saved energy translates directly into saved cash. Energy-efficient appliances save energy by consuming less while handling the same workload. For instance, an energy-efficient HVAC installation will provide the same volume of treated air, but use less power to do so. But how to know which appliances are energy efficient? Easy — they wear a bright yellow EnergyGuide label.
The process of shopping for new appliances can be frustrating, so the temptation is to get it over with as quickly as possible. When considering a purchase that you hope will last a decade or more and could waste or save a lot of money, it’s far more sensible to slow down and read that yellow EnergyGuide label.
Who puts it there?
The EnergyGuide initiative is run by the Federal Trade Commission, a branch of the government that’s tasked with consumer protection. In this circumstance, the FTC is protecting you from ill-advisedly wasting money.
What it means
There are five pieces of information on the label:
- A list of the appliance’s features
- The make, model and the product description
- The Energy Star logo, which is awarded by the Environmental Protection Agency if the appliance qualifies as extremely energy efficient.
- Sliding scale — Across the center of the label is a sliding scale that shows how much electricity comparable models use. The large number and the arrow above the sliding scale show where this model ranks in comparison. It’s shown in a dollar value using the average American household’s power consumption.
- EYEU — Below the sliding scale is the estimated yearly electricity use, shown in kilowatt hours. This figure allows you to use your local electricity prices to calculate a closer approximation of what the appliance will cost you to run.
At Sherlock Heating & Air Conditioning we understand the importance of energy-efficient equipment. This is particularly applicable to your HVAC installation which, in the San Diego area, runs for much of the year. To ask more questions or schedule a consultation, contact our expert team today!