When hiring an HVAC contractor, you want to be sure you go with a qualified professional. Your home’s HVAC system represents a significant investment, and whether you are buying a new system or having your old one repaired, you want someone who will do the job right the first time.
So how do you find out if an HVAC contractor is qualified? There are several factors that you can look at:
- Do you know someone who has hired them in the past? You can check with family, friends, co-workers and neighbors to see if they had a good experience and would recommend with their contractor.
- Can they provide testimonials or references? If you do not know anyone who has experience with a particular contractor or would like a bigger sample size, you can check to see if they have testimonials from satisfied customers or references that you can call.
- Do they have a good reputation with the Better Business Bureau and online review sites? You can widen the reference circle even wider by looking up reviews of the company on various review sites or checking to see if they have an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau.
- Are they licensed, bonded and insured? An HVAC contractor should have the proper licensing and needs to be bonded and insured to ensure that any accidental damage to your property will be fully covered.
- Are they NATE-certified? NATE stands for North American Technician Excellence, and to earn NATE certification, an HVAC contractor must pass an exam demonstrating their knowledge and expertise in HVAC installation, maintenance and repair — and then keep current by taking continuing education classes or periodically being retested.
- Do they inspect your home and HVAC equipment and provide detailed written estimates? HVAC work is not one-size-fits-all. To minimize your energy bills and make certain all problems are taken care of, the contractor should provide a custom solution that best fits your home.
If you live in the San Diego area, you can get all this and more from your HVAC contractor by contacting the professionals at Sherlock Heating & Air Conditioning.